Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice

As a landlord, what is your liability if you have a water leak,

As a landlord, what is your liability if you have a water leak, and your tenant's property is damaged?
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name isXXXXX and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

Could we have a little more background to this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The hot water tank in our loft split causing a water leak, damage to the property, and damage to the belongings of our tenant, and a burn to her arm. We are wondering what our liability is in this situation?
The way the court looks at this is that these things don’t happen if a property is maintained and therefore if she decides to pursue it you would probably be found liable.
BUT she has to prove negligence and the incident must be reasonably foreseeable so if this couldn’t have been avoided you escape liability but you will need to prove that this wasn’t due to lack of maintenance or any other failing by you.
I would simply pass it onto yr insurance co to deal.

Does that answer the question? Can I answer any specific points?
Can I answer any specific points or clarify anything?
If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service formally.
If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.
It doesn’t give me, “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask.
The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating my answer service.
Rating doesn’t close the enquiry at all even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you to read and ask for further clarification.