Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice

Hallo Joshua, I am looking for a self-contained studio flat

Hallo Joshua,

I am looking for a self-contained studio flat or a large double room to rent in a shared house in Brighton/Hove, East Sussex.
I have been looking for two months and still I cannot find any suitable place as landlords won't allow pets in their properties. I am aware that what is happening is unfair accordin to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. However, landlords still discriminate pet owners.
Could you please give me any suggestions?
Many thanks in advance

I'm Wendy, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent Joshua a message to follow up with you here, when he is back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

I have been asked to look at this for you.
Which part of UCTA do you think this discriminationbreaches?
Thank you.
Please bear with me over the weekend because I will be online and off-line.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Expert,

Many thanks for your answer.

Unfortunately, it is completely useless.

I am not a laywer, and I am not going to discuss which part of UCTA this discrimination breaches.

I got in touch with your website in order to find a solution to the incredible difficulty in finding a flat in the UK because I am a pet owner (please refer to my last words: "could you please give me any suggestions?"). I'll make you an example: which letting agencies are pet friendly, am I subject to expulsion in case I take my dog with me in a apartment without telling to the landlord, etc.

I guess I just threw away 26 pounds...

Gigliola Brintazzoli

I haven’t answered you yet.
I am happy to answer you, however I cannot give you the answer that you were looking for. I can give you the answer but not the one which you want.
You said “I am aware what is happening is unfair at according to UCTA” and I asked which part of the Act it breached. The reason I ask is that I cannot for one moment think of which part of the unfair contract terms act a landlord not allowing pet owners breaches.
The fact remains that the landlord is entitled to discriminate against pet owners and smokers. The discrimination regulations cover sex, gender, race and religion but not smoking or owning an animal.
I’m sorry, I appreciate it isn’t the answer you wanted but I’m afraid that the law does not provide a remedy to compel a landlord to allow someone into the property smokes (which I appreciate you have not asked about but I mention for completeness) or has a pet.
Incidentally, I don’t get paid anything at all unless you rate my answer service positively, even if it isn’t the answer you wanted.
If you think you wasted your money and wish it back, the site will refund you because it has an excellent customer satisfaction policy. You only have to email admin.
Does that answer the question?
Can I answer any specific points or clarify anything?
If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service formally.
If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.
It doesn’t give me, “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask.
The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating my answer service.
Rating doesn’t close the enquiry at all even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you to read and ask for further clarification.
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice