Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

I have a licence to occupy that expired 13th May 2013. I wanted

I have a licence to occupy that expired 13th May 2013. I wanted to continue for another year and the landlord was happy for this to happen. I have paid 2 x 1/4ly rents (14th May and 14th August). However we never had a new licence signed for 14th May 2013-14th May 2014. Now the Landlord is saying that he wants me to sign a 2 year agreement and wants a huge rent increase, neither of which I want to accept. I imagine as I have paid until 14th November I am in my rights to stay until then, but do I have any rights until 14th May 2014 on the basis that he has accepted the first two 1/4ly payments?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day today.

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

What type of contract do you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a 12 month Licence To Occupy, rent to be paid quarterly in advance. I have renewed the Licence twice so far but as I say, we hadnt gotten around to renewing it this year although I have continued to pay 2 x quarterly payments without the renewed licence

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
how did you pay the rent until November? If by cheque, have the cheques been cashed?
are you happy to move out in November?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I paid online and in fact paid early as the landlord (who I actually get on well with) asked if i could pay a little early as he had cash flow issues!

I would rather be able to have the option to stay until May 2014 if legally possible, but just dont know if i have any rights at all.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
As you have not yet signed any renewal,then you are thereon tenancy at will and can be given reasonable notice to quit.
The landlord has accepted rent until November and therefore you can only be given notice to quit, at this stage, in November.
The landlord clearly knows that you want to stay and that is why he is trying to put the squeeze on you.
You are playing hardball and bluff and have to make a decision as to whether you really do call his bluff and tell him that if he wants the increased rent, you will be leaving in November. There is no magic solution I'm afraid.
Can I answer any specific points or clarify anything?
If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service formally.
If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.
It doesn’t give me, “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask.
The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating my answer service.
Rating doesn’t close the enquiry at all even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you to read and ask for further clarification.
Regards
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice