Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

tenants were supposed to move out by mid may, they have only

tenants were supposed to move out by mid may, they have only just moved out. they have paid the rent up to moving out. can i claim their deposit to help with the 2000 bill to renovate the property? Can i claim the deposit as i was unable to do the property up and sell it whilst they stayed beyond their tenancy agreement citing lost higher rent and lost time to be bale to sell the property. Can the tenants just stay longer beyond the rental tenancy agreement and still just claim back their deposit?
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Why will it cost £2k to renovate please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, that is the quote.

But for what exactly?

What needs to be done?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

General maintenance and upkeep. My key question is can we keep the deposit as they stayed beyond their contract date, we haven't been able to do the flat up and sell it until now, or rent it to someone else as the tenants refused to move out. I. E. There must be a negative financial consequence for not moving out by the end of the contract, or is it just tough luck for us?

Thank you.

They are liable to pay rent up until the date that they leave. However, you cannot claim additional compensation unless there is additional damage.

Clearly they shouldn't have stayed beyond their notice date and they are liable for your costs if they do. They seem to have paid rent though and you cannot claim in addition to that.

If they have caused damage then you can claim for the cost of dealing with that but that doesn't seem to be what you are describing either as this is just general maintenance.

I'm very sorry if this is bad news but you can only claim compensation for your actual losses in the uk.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo