How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7147
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi there, I am buying a property with a partner as an investment.

Resolved Question:

Hi there,

I am buying a property with a partner as an investment. I am managing the refurb and they are funding the project and deposit. We intent to split any equity 50:50 at the end of the project.
To offer security for the money they are 'loaning' me I have agreed in principle that a 2nd charge be placed on another property in my own name, for the duration of the project and then removed.
My question is, what is the difference in this case between a property restriction and a 2nd charge? Is there a preferred option in this case or should I be doing something else entirely?
Thanks in advance :-)
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

It’s not a case of one or the other. The charge holder gets the second charge and this second charge is registered in the form of a restriction on the registered title for the property over which you are granting the second charge.

A “restriction” is the form of entry that the Land Registry makes on the registered title for a property when the title for the property cannot be transferred to another person without reference to the subject matter of the “restriction”. The Charge is the subject matter.

So, in the case of a charge (whether first or second) the charge holder wants to prevent the sale of the property unless they are repaid the monies owed under the charge. Therefore, they register the charge against the legal title for the property as a “restriction”.

The subject matter is the charge. The type of entry is the restriction.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Thomas,


Thanks for your answer, would you know if we would need to do this via a conveyancer or can we just use an application form from land registry? Is it an ap1? Do you have a link/copy? Also would you know where I can get access to a deed of trust template?


Thanks again :-)

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

You could probably submit the applicaiton yourself via AP1, RX1 and CH1 which are all avialable for download from the Land Registry website, but I would urge caution.

You must get the consent of any lender with a first legal charge on your property before you grant the second charge.

You also need to protect yourself in terms of settting out in detail the terms on which the charge will be discharged. If things go wrong and there are grey areas then you coudl end up in litigation.

For this reason I would refer it to your solicitor.

Similaly with a declaration of trust, these are not things that I could advise in good conscience you to attempt to draft execute on your own. Again, a matter for your solicitor.

PLease remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7147
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers:

  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience
  • PortsmouthLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor, dealing with property law issues since 1981