Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

hello thomas i have looked after land next to my property for

Customer Question

hello thomas i have looked after land next to my property for twenty six year it is the council land and they have not done anything to it Ive cut the grass once a week and taken the grass down the tip also have repaired the wall ,the wall is in need of repair again which will cost quite a bit and I do not what to fork out money if I cannot claim this land thanks colin
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 11 months ago.
Hi

May I please answer in 25 minutes? I am just on the way home at the moment...

Kind regards

Tom
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes thats fine colin

Expert:  Thomas replied 11 months ago.
Hi Colin

Thanks for your patience.

The land is not automatically yours, but because you have maintained it for a sufficiently long length of time you have the option and write to apply for adverse possession.

This is way you submit an application to the land registry to have to land registered in your name on the basis of the fact that you have maintained it for a long time.

Until you do this land will remain the council's. If you are successful in making the application then the land will be registered in your sole name.

I would not fork out any money just yet and instead start to collect the documentary evidence that you have which substantiate the time that you have maintained the land. You should then take this to a local property solicitor and ask for them to prepare an application for adverse possession. This will include the solicitor drafting a statutory declaration which would set out the chronology of you maintaining the land.

The application would then be submitted to the land registry and if the council do not have a sufficiently strong argument the land will be registered in your favour.

If this is useful please kindly click accept and rate my answer as okay service or above. If you do not then I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

excellent service will you again

Expert:  Thomas replied 11 months ago.
Hi Colin,

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX be grateful if you would rate my service and answer accordingly.

Kind regards

Tom
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Expert:  Thomas replied 11 months ago.
Your post is blank.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

hi Thomas would you be interested in dealing with my claim to try and get this land off local council ,if so about how much would it cost

Expert:  Thomas replied 11 months ago.
Hi

I I am afraid that I cannot accept private instructions under the conditions of this site. You will have to instruct a solicitor locally in the normal way.

Sorry

Tom
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

thanks Thomas for all your help colin

Expert:  Thomas replied 11 months ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.