Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law

I have held an assured shorthold tenancy from 20th August 2005

I have held an assured shorthold tenancy from 20th August 2005 the rent payable is �510 per month. I have paid �510 in full every month on the due date for a period of nearly eight
years. My landlord turned up at my door without warning earlier in the week and stated that my rent would now be increased to �560 per month starting with a new rental agreement from 1st October 2013. I said that I would let him know within a few days if this was acceptable to me. I beleive that I now have a PERIODIC tenancy agreement.
My original agreement states . (subject to any statutory provisions to the contrary, the Tenant will not have the right to refer the increase in rent to the Rent Assesment Committee) My question is this. What rights if any do I hold.

Hi there,

Thanks for your enquiry.

You are correct in that you have a periodic Tenancy, which basically means that your existing Tenancy (including the rental amount) continues until either of you serve Notice to end the Tenancy, or a new Tenancy agreement is signed.

Therefore your Landlord can't increase the rent until such time as any new Agreement is signed.

If you don't agree on a new Tenancy, then you could give your Landlord one month's Notice, such Notice to end on or before the 4th of the month, stipulating that you wish to end the Tenancy.

Likewise, your Landlord could give you Notice on the same basis but this would have to give you 2 months Notice.

I hope this answers your question, and if so, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.

Kind Regards