How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7430
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi i bought a house 7 yrs ago with the hindsight of developing

This answer was rated:


i bought a house 7 yrs ago with the hindsight of developing the land to the rear and side of the property into luxury dog boarding kennels which have now been completed and running for 3 yrs. all planning and red tape has been dealt with regarding this build and the additional buildings also come with future dwelling rights and currently are not subject to any loans or mortgage attached just the original house has a mortgage. we now wish to seperate the kennels from the house plot and keep the two in the same ownership. this as i think would give the kennels its own identity and we would be looking to borrow against this property. we have a valueation on the kennels based on bricks and mortor of around 100.000 which was done about 3/4 yrs ago.
i have gave as much info as i can as to help with a response and allthough it sounds quite complicated it really should be straight forward i think?? so who can help or advise on the way forward

many thanks craig

Are you asking whether the land registry title for the development can be split up in to separate registered titles?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi yes i am so as to make it two seperate plots kennels 1 and house 2

Craig and Tracy


Thanks for your patience.

If there is mortgage registered against the legal title (ie. because of the house) then you would need the consent of the lender before you do anything.

In addition, they would require you to instruct a solicitor to arrange the partitioning of the titles and subsequent registration at the Land Registry.

You should instruct a solicitor anyway because this will have to be transfer by way of the land registry’s Transfer of Part form (TP1) with appropriate plans. You will also have to ensure that sufficient rights are granted to the land transferred and also reserved over the land, so that bot titles remain marketable and saleable following completion.

Basically, once you have the consent of the lender any property solicitor should be able to do it for you fairly quickly and not that expensively. It’s matter of looking at the titles, taking your instructions and ensuring that the rights are adequately provided for.

You will be fine.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi tom


thank you for the info i thought the consent of the mortgage lender maybe required.

do you know the best way to progress in doing this to gain the outcome required and are they normally happy to do this in this situation?




It depends entirely on the lender. It is for them to work out if the existing value of a mortgage can be safely secured against the land which you propose not to be transferred to a new title.

If the land to be transferred all the mortgage is small in comparison to the land that will be retained then they will probably be okay with it. The best way to start would be for you to speak with your lender and see what they suggest. It may be that you can send some plans in showing have a land is to be partitioned how to make an initial decision on.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you tom im fairly confident they will go for it especially if i bring them on board with the the raising of funds against the kennels, the funds will be to purchase 2 acres ajoining the kennel/house which at the moment is leasehold by ourselves its a no brainer i would have thought. one more question with regards to speaking to the lenders who/what department is the right one as i dont want to talk to some call center person.

would a personal face to face in branch be a better way in that way we could show exsisting plans and land concerned and maybe a site visit. im woundering if they may lend on the existing mortgage (house) as in theory i have raised the value of the property conciderably with the adition of extra buildings and therefore should have positive equity in the site as a whole upon a renewed conbined valuation


what are your thoughts




I would think that initial meeting with your relationship manager in branch would be the best way forward. I doubt he would be able to take the plans that and then but he would certainly be able to for you to the appropriate apartment so that you can follow up in writing.

I would avoid the call centres frankly, and rely on things in writing

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok will do thanks for steering me in the right direction will keep you posted

once again thank you for the advise



No problem

Related UK Property Law Questions