How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 68221
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i took in a lodger who is a friends daughter who was living

Resolved Question:

i took in a lodger who is a friend's daughter who was living with her. She is about 30.
She has been there 6 months and only paid £60 rent in that time. The rent was agreed at £125 per week. The rent i pay is £375 per week so i asked for £125 of her which is cheap for the area. There is no written agreement just verbal as i thought as she was working at a local pub getting cash in hand then she would would be ok with this which she said was fine. I have since asked her to leave 3 weeks ago which she said she would but i asked her 5 days ago when is she going and she said i have to give her 28 days notice. I do not believe this to be the case as she is only a lodger and there is no written agreement. In the past 2 weeks she has become abusive and has smashed my laptop and stolen my phone. She also had one of her male friends come around and threaten me saying "i was a dead man walking". I have reported the latter to the police. They said this is serious and they would be there when i evict her, but they didn't know the notice i should give her. I just need to know what is the minimum notice for this to happen. It is getting to the stage where i am scared to go back to my room in case her male friend comes around drunk and does something stupid.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

I am sorry but she is right. You do have to give her 28 days notice. She is just a lodger and so there are very few obligations on either side but you do have to give her reasonable notice which has generally been interpreted to mean 28 days notice.

In relation to her subsequent conduct, if any person misbehaves then you can call the police as you know. However, I'm afraid you cannot just ask to leave without notice.

The good news though is that if she refuses to go within 28 days you don't need a court order to evict her. You can literally just wait until she goes out and then change the locks after her.

I'm very sorry if this is bad news.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 68221
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.
Jo C. and 2 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers:

  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience
  • PortsmouthLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor, dealing with property law issues since 1981