Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

i took in a lodger who is a friends daughter who was living

i took in a lodger who is a friend's daughter who was living with her. She is about 30.
She has been there 6 months and only paid £60 rent in that time. The rent was agreed at £125 per week. The rent i pay is £375 per week so i asked for £125 of her which is cheap for the area. There is no written agreement just verbal as i thought as she was working at a local pub getting cash in hand then she would would be ok with this which she said was fine. I have since asked her to leave 3 weeks ago which she said she would but i asked her 5 days ago when is she going and she said i have to give her 28 days notice. I do not believe this to be the case as she is only a lodger and there is no written agreement. In the past 2 weeks she has become abusive and has smashed my laptop and stolen my phone. She also had one of her male friends come around and threaten me saying "i was a dead man walking". I have reported the latter to the police. They said this is serious and they would be there when i evict her, but they didn't know the notice i should give her. I just need to know what is the minimum notice for this to happen. It is getting to the stage where i am scared to go back to my room in case her male friend comes around drunk and does something stupid.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

I am sorry but she is right. You do have to give her 28 days notice. She is just a lodger and so there are very few obligations on either side but you do have to give her reasonable notice which has generally been interpreted to mean 28 days notice.

In relation to her subsequent conduct, if any person misbehaves then you can call the police as you know. However, I'm afraid you cannot just ask to leave without notice.

The good news though is that if she refuses to go within 28 days you don't need a court order to evict her. You can literally just wait until she goes out and then change the locks after her.

I'm very sorry if this is bad news.

Can I clarify anything for you?