Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

Dear justanswer, Im renting and living in a flat and with

Dear justanswer,
I'm renting and living in a flat and with my landlords permission I rent it to subtenants. One of my subtenants gave me the notice to move out but two weeks later he changed his mind but I told him no because I've already found someone for the room. He is now being stubborn telling me he won't leave. I've checked it on different websites if it was legal to change the locks. Since I'm his immediate landlord and I'm living in the house and we share common areas makes him an excluded tenant with no protection against it. Am I right?
Thank you
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High
Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008.
During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousand's of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in
minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case.

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

What type of tenancy agreement do you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's an assured shorthold tenancy. Renewing yearly for the past 4 years

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

Well
done. You are absolutely right. He has no security of tenure. You are the
assured short hold tenant and he is merely a guest in your house.

You
are entitled to give him reasonable notice which would probably be one week.
You are also entitled to excluding from the property and if that means changing
the locks, do so. If he breaks in, call the police with a view to having him
prosecuted for criminal damage.

If the
tenant (I use the word loosely) thinks that he has any more rights than that of
an unwelcome guest, he is an idiot.

You
might want to print this answer off and show it to him.

Does
that answer the question? Can I help further? Can I answer any specific points?

Please don't forget to
positively rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You
should now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service
formally.

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my
livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating
my answer service.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice