How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7223
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, last month me and my partner moved into a sublet. We

Resolved Question:

Hello, last month me and my partner moved into a sublet. We were to move in on the 20th. There was no verbal/written agreement as to when we paid the rent. On the 23rd he asked us upfront for �100 for the days we had been living there up until the 1st July. He also asked for the next months rent of �550 which would be the months rent from 1st July-1st August. Due to the short notice of the request for rent it was agreed that we could pay him the �100 and then a further �275 until 2 weeks after when my partner could come up with the rest of the money as he gets paid weekly. The money was withdrawn from
My bank and paid to my landlord in cash as requested by him. After he had then paid his rent with our money my partner came to the conclusion he would not be able to afford to pay him his half. We moved out on the 29th and he is refusing to pay the �275 back. Do we have any rights to get this money back?
Submitted: 2 years ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Are you effectively asking for half of the money you paid to be returned because you only occupied for less than half the time you agreed to stay?

Was other any agreement or indication about refunds?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was agreed that the £100 was paid and we would not get that back as that was the money we owed for the time we had lived there for.the £275 was an early payment of the next months rent which we were not there for any of that month so it was agreed verbally that when he had found a new tenant he would pay us that back. He said he would ask the next tenant for a deposit which is what he would pay us back with. This has not happened and he is now saying he will only pay us £160 due to the inconvenience.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

I will be able to answer at 9

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

Some of your dates aren’t referenced to the actual month. So, I will assume that you moved out on 29th June, which means that you were actually only in the property for 9 days.

To be honest, this is quite an unusual way of dealing with things in that you appear to have been given occupation before working out the money side of things, have not actually agreed the length of time that you would stay there and also what rights of termination you had. You also appear to have paid in cash, which is not ideal either unless you received a receipt. This leaves quite a messy situation.

If you agreed with the person that you would occupy the property for 1st July to 1st August for the sum of £550.00 then were decided not to then unless it was agreed or understood that you could terminate at any time and be entitled to a refund of any monies for the rent period that you had paid for then it’s difficult to see how you would be able to claim this money.

If there was an understanding that you would be entitled to terminate at any point and get a refund then you would in theory be entitled to the return of the money for the period that you did not stay there for. If this is the case then in the first instance I would write to him stating the arrangement and that the monies should be refunded to you stating that if he does not then you will issue a claim for the monies via

The problem is that if he claims that you agreed to stay for 1st July to 1st August for £550.00 and then didn’t (arguing you did not have a right to terminate) then he might issue a counter claim against you for the remaining rent that you didn’t pay. It would then depend on whose evidence the judge at county court attaches the greater weight of evidence to.

Personally, I would consider pestering him in writing to see if you can get any money out of him but perhaps stopping short of claiming at court and consider it a learning experience to get everything in writing with clearer terms next time.

I am sorry.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7223
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 3 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Aston Lawyer

    Aston Lawyer

    Property Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 20 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
< Last | Next >
  • Lawyer/2013-10-8_19517_JAPROFILEPICTURE.64x64.jpg Aston Lawyer's Avatar

    Aston Lawyer

    Property Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 20 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years exeperience
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers: