Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

The electricity meter to my flat is in commercial premises

The electricity meter to my flat is in commercial premises below. The company will not allow me to read my meter on their property. Do I have right of access?

Hello, I am Law
Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been
an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you
appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a
variety of subjects.

Because
we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes,
particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today.

Do
you mean that the meter is not allowed to be read at all?

Is
the landlord of your property the landlord of the property below?

Are
they refusing access to Scottish Power?

What
problems is this creating?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

meter read very infrequently, the odd time when the company manager is not there to stop. I believe even the meter reader has been refused access on occasion.

I do not know if my landlord is also the landlord of the commercial premises. I suspect not.

Ridiculously high and innacurate estimated readings and threats from Scottish Power. Latest letter states I am £2,400+ in arrears on a 1 bed flat!

Manager?

Is he the owner of
the company or does he just manage the shop?

Is there a head
office?

Is it a shop?

If he is not there
but other staff are, can you then get access? Ie, Do you get access when he is
not there?

Why does he refuse?

Is there other
history between you?

The utility companies actually have a statutory right to read the meter but that right is enforceable against you and therefore you must facilitate meter reading.

I would get a solicitor preferably to write to the shop manager owner threatening an application to court for an injunction to compel him to give access to you and to the utility company, on reasonable notice (48 hours during the week) or at any time when the premises are occupied.

There is no reason why you cannot do this yourself, but the solicitors letter, threatening the court application and threatening to ask the court to award costs against him may focus his mind.

If you want to make the application yourself make the application on form N16A for which there is a fee of £175. If he does not roll over once he gets proceedings, thereof then other fees including the hearing fee which is £200. You can ask the court to award those costs against him.

Forms are available here http://hmctscourtfinder.justice.gov.uk/HMCTS/FormFinder.do

and the court the list is form EX50 also available from that link.

Does that answer the question? Can I help further? Can I answer any specific points?

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service formally.
If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.
It doesn’t give me, “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask.
The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating my answer service.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No head office

Car sales showroom

Only very very occasional access in the past not something that can be repeated he is adamant

Says it is detrimental to his business letting 'all & sundry' have access, also claims he is trying to sell the busines and meters for other properties are an impediment.

No hostory other than this though get the impression he resents flats above his business. he does have a bit of a 'sharp' reputation amongst pother car dealers in the town.

In which case, he
is obviously just in noxious piece of...

My answer therefore
is as I put above.

Can I answer any
specific points?

In which case, is
obviously just not noxious piece of...

And my answer
therefore is as I posted.

Can I help further?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I have rated you and paid a tip.

Thats wonderful. thank you. i do hope that you get this sorted.
Regards