Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

i rent a terraced house which has a back lane to the rear.

i rent a terraced house which has a back lane to the rear. we have a hardstanding at the back of our property approx 5m x 4m. i had a potakabin, 2m x 2m and approx 2.5m tall placed there last summer. none of the neighbours have complained, but i am wondering if i should get planning permission and how much that would cost, in case somebody does take exception at some future point. i use the kabin 4 personal storage. thanks
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

I would imagine that this would be classed as an outbuilding.

You are only required to apply for planning permission in the event that the erection of it does NOT constitute “permitted development”

The government’s guidance on this can help you devide:-
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/miniguides/outbuildings/Outbuildings.pdf

Provided the outbuilding (together with any other additions to the original house) do not exceed 50% of the total area around the house then the size, in principle, is okay. It is not separate living accommodation so you are okay in this regard.

The potential area of difficult is if:-
1. The eaves height is more than 2.5 metres OR
2. The total height of the outbuilding is more than 2.5 metres. (because it is within 2 metres of a boundary.
In the event that it does breach 1 or 2 above then it would not be regarded as permitted development and you would have had to have applied for planning permission before you erected it. If so, it would be in breach of planning and the local authority (if they realised) could take enforcement action against you if they found out to get you to apply for retrospective planning permission.

Provided that it is “permitted development and it does affect the flow or air or light to the neighbours OR impact on their access to the back lane (for which they must have a right of way) then they would not be able to object to it.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi

it is 2.8m tall. that means i need planning permisssion?

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

If it is within 2 metres of the property boundary then, yes, that means it would not have contituted "permitted development" and would have therefore required planning permisison unfortunately.

Because you have already erected and the local authority found out about it then they would probably require to you to apply for retrospective planning permission.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks tom, one more q

how much does planning permission cost 4 something like this?

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

I believe the planning permission fee would be about £330, but you would have to supply plans as well so you would have to shop around and factor the costs of these in as well.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Tom
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor