Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

If there is a known noise nuisance, is the Landlord legally

Customer Question

If there is a known noise nuisance, is the Landlord legally obliged to inform a presepctive tenant?
Submitted: 3 years ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo, the background to my question;

Last Thursday we moved into a rental house, which unknown to us is across the road from a residential care home, unfortunately there is a great deal of noise coming from the residents, which disturbes sleep and relaxation. We have no issue as such about the carehome only the fact that we were not advised either by the letting agent (Hamptons International) nor the Landlord prior to signing the tenancy agreement.

Please let me know if you need furtehr information.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. I lost my connection.

I am sorry but its bad news. Landlords have no duty at all to disclose neighbourhood issues to prospective tenants.

They do have to disclose things like disputes with neighbours during the course of any sale but unfortunately not during the course of a let. It is rather unfair but its the legal position unfortunately.

Thats not to say that you don't have the usual rights to complain to the council etc about any noise nuisance that is taking place but unfortunately there is no claim against your landlord.

I'm very sorry but I have to give you truthful information.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo,

I feared that this would be the case.

I don't think it would be appropriate for me to complain to the council regarding a care home that was there before we arrived.

Thanks again.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I am sorry. I wish I could give you better news.