Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I am a landlord and have signed a agreement for a years rental

I am a landlord and have signed a agreement for a years rental from Oct 1st, the tenant may not have signed the copy yet. Something has changed and I need to sell the property instead. Can I arrange to cancel the tenancy?
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What type of contract is it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think it is a short tenancy agreement for 1 yr
Thanks.

In legal theory that is a problem. You are locked into a contract and your obligation is to let the tenant move in on the date set down.

However, the practical reality is that if you are not willing to let to them then a Court will not force you to do so. Since the tenant has over two months to find somewhere else to live, she is not likely to suffer any losses that can be claimed from you and so a decision not to continue now is not likely to have adverse consequences for you.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo