How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 69914
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a landlord and have signed a agreement for a years rental

This answer was rated:

I am a landlord and have signed a agreement for a years rental from Oct 1st, the tenant may not have signed the copy yet. Something has changed and I need to sell the property instead. Can I arrange to cancel the tenancy?

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What type of contract is it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think it is a short tenancy agreement for 1 yr

In legal theory that is a problem. You are locked into a contract and your obligation is to let the tenant move in on the date set down.

However, the practical reality is that if you are not willing to let to them then a Court will not force you to do so. Since the tenant has over two months to find somewhere else to live, she is not likely to suffer any losses that can be claimed from you and so a decision not to continue now is not likely to have adverse consequences for you.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and 3 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you