Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I rent a property that I own to my daughter who receives Housing

Customer Question

I rent a property that I own to my daughter who receives Housing Benefit which only covers part of the rent.The local council has suspended my daughters benefit asking for proof that she pays the rent shortfall ie Topup?
Submitted: 1 year ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

How can I help with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FOR JOMO 1972

what further information do you require??

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I was just wondering what your question about this was?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FOR JOMO1972

my daughter receives some housing benefit which only covers some of the rent. Her mother who is her landlord only makes her pay rent equal to the amount of housing benefit she receives. She should pay the top up out of her income but she cannot normally afford to do this.The council have suspended her housing benefit until she can provide proof that she pays the top up.

My question is can the council insist that she pays a top up and if she did have they any legal right to see evidence of this.?

It would appear that the council are discriminating against my daughter because she is related to her landlord as my understanding is that a landlord can charge a tenant what ever rent is agree with the tenant, in this instance the rent charged is exactly equal to the a amount of housing benefit my daughter receives. Can we tell the council that they are acting unlawfully/

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Does the AST that she has shown the council refer to a some which includes the top up ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FOR MOJO 1972

I am sorry but what is the AST? I also do not understand your question

" refer to a some which includes the top up" ???

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Assured shorthold tenancy agreement?

I suspect they are saying they have been shown an agreement that refers to a higher price than they are paying?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FOR MOJO1972.

Yes the original AST showed a rent at a higher level than the housing benefit being paid and taken as rent.

However there was no mention/ reference on the AST of any top up payments.

I deal with these matters on my wife's behalf and I have assumed that the rent can be changed up or down as agreed between the landlord and the tenant throughout the life of the AST.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FOR MOJO1972

I am sorry but I do not understand. You say "reliant upon the declaration that she will pay top ups" My daughter never made a declaration that she would pay top ups. My question was can the council insist that she pays a top to the full value of the original rent on her AST.

Are we not entitled to change the rent value on a AST?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!