Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I have given a £2000 holding deposit to a prospective landlord

Customer Question

I have given a £2000 holding deposit to a prospective landlord on a commercial shop lease that I wanted to take. He agreed to stop marketing the property (Verbal agreement no receipt). Landlord agreed that once the lease was signed he would carry our remedial work to the property. A week later I found a better shop and told the landlord that I wanted to pull out. The landlord says that he is keeping the holding deposit because he had started the remedial work on the property.

Can I ask for my holding deposit back.

Thx for your help
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High
Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008.
During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions
from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other
users, I might not always respond in
minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Can you explain your situation a bit more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
He just said i need more info did not specify what info. Plus he did not give any answer whatsoever
Expert:  Stuart J replied 2 years ago.

You are quite
correct, I haven't given you any answer at all, that's because I don't have
enough information to be able to answer you.

I need you to
explain your situation a little more. I need the full background details

Why do you have
nothing in writing? Do you have a receipt for the £2000? How did you pay the
£2000? Has he started the remedial work? How much will the remedial work cost?
Did he have to do the remedial work in any event before letting it out to
anyone, not just you?

If you are looking
for other shops, why did you pay him a deposit?

I need the full
background in detail please