Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Sir/Madam,I rent a property with gas central heating and

Sir/Madam, I rent a property with gas central heating and a supplementary solid fuel heater. The later has been condemned. Does my landlord have a responsibility to repair or replace the heater even though gas central heating is also available?  Essentially, there are two forms of heating.  Is he required to maintain both?  A swift reply would be handy as I am meeting with him tomorrow morning! Yours faithfully, Danny Mountain

Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

I am sorry for the delay you have experienced.

Your landlord only has a responsibility to heat the house in one primary way. If the gas central heating is in good order and heats the house properly then he only has an obligation to maintain that.

If the solid fuel heating is condemned though then it should be shut down. If it is still heating the house or otherwise active in anyway then it should be made non active as that would be a safety issue. I don't think that can be as its been condemned.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo