How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Stuart J Your Own Question

Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 21993
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a clause in my deeds stating the transfer dated 1979

Resolved Question:

i have a clause in my deeds stating the transfer dated 1979 contains the following proviosion. it is hereby agreed and declared tht the transfer shall not be or become entilteld to any right of light (excluding existing ones if any) or other easement which would prejudically affect the user by the transfer or its successors in title of any adjoining or neghbouring land of the transferor for bulding or other purposes.

What does this mean and how does it affect my right to loght?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High
Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008.
During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions
from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other
users, I might not always respond in
minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My neighbour is extending 3m out from our properties. we are attached and this brick build will be right on our border and less than 1m away from our windows. I want to object to this build using right to ligh. does the clause in our dees stop us doing this and what doe it mean?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. So the
extension will block your light and you object?

Let me say first, there is no right to a view.

This is also nothing whatsoever to do with that whether he has
been granted planning permission or not. That is a separate issue.

If this blocks the view,
then that is indeed unfortunate, There is nothing in law an owner can do
provided it isnt a nuisance and there is no breach of any consent.

I will add that there is also no right to a TV signal either so if
it blocks a TV signal, other arrangements will have to be made. There is
already case law on that.

The right to light is different. If a property has acquired the
right to light (it depends how old the property is, there may be a remedy.

There is no absolute right to light from across neighbouring land,
although this right can be ‘earned'.

Under the Prescription Act 1832 a right to light can be acquired
provided the light has been uninterrupted for at least 20years. However, this
right applies most commonly to a building, and more particularly, to the window
through which the light enters.


The light must be reduced by at least 50% before the right is
deemed obstructed. Let me tell you now that 50% is an awful lot of light and it
will not even be approaching that in most circumstances. A specialist surveyor
with experience in right to light matters would be essential from the likes of

you will find the site most useful and the calculation is here


BUT, if a title specifically excludes the right to light, there is
nothing an owner can do regarding light . This is most common if both e pieces
used to belong to the same person and one part was sold off and the seller
excluded right to light. You need to check the deeds.


The next to last resort, is appeal the planning decision on the
grounds that the extension would have a severe impact on your property. If that
fails you can seek judicial review of the council's decision. You can only seek
this on the grounds of irrationality, illegality or procedural impropriety. Not
just because you don't like the decision.

Now to come back to the particular clause.

The word "transfer" in the first line of the question "it is
hereby agreed and declared that the transfer shall not be etc" will either
refer to transferor or transferee. I think it is probably transferee which in
this case is you.


It says that you shall not become entitled to any right of light
unless you already acquired one so you would need to have enjoyed light through
that window since 1959 and have proof of such. To be honest there is not a very
big burden of proof on that unless there has ever been a building next door.


There must also be no document/deeds prior to 1979 excluding light
in the way that the 1979 one does.


It also refers to other easements which may have been created
since 1979 or before 1979 such as rights of access.


Does that answer the question? Can I help further? Can I answer
any specific points?

If you want to ask any further information on the dates, I will
need to know when the house was built and whether there is any similar
provision in previous deeds with regard to the right to light.


sorry, I appreciate that a lot of this this is not the answer you wanted but
there is no point in me misleading. I have a duty to advise you truthfully and
honestly even if that answer is unfavourable.

Please don't forget to
positively rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You
should now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating
my answer service.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 21993
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Stuart J and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers:

  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience
  • PortsmouthLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor, dealing with property law issues since 1981