Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience

As a landlord of a property I own, I have discovered that a

As a landlord of a property I own, I have discovered that a tenant has been using my name and set up a fake email address to pay for goods over the internet, thereby defrauding a mail order business using my details. I want to evict him immediately, having reported this to the Fraud Office and the police who are pursuing the matter now. How quickly can I evict him? He's a periodic tenant, so is it just one month's notice without having to explain why? Given that it's a crime, can I move him out quicker?

Buachaill :

1. Whilst in law, you strictly speaking have to give this person one months notice to quit your property, I would simply advise you to re-enter the building and remove all his belongings leaving them there for collection by him. In a court of law, no judge is going to listen to some tenant arguing over whether he attempted to carry out a fraud on a landlord is grounds for eviction. In both equity and the law, he who comes with unclean hands or he who attempts to commit a crime has no standing to make arguments over the default of another party. Accordingly, irrespective of the law, I would sweep this piece of Sh** off your door as quickly as you possibly can! Before he defrauds you further!

Buachaill :

Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may get paid