Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Is it illegal for landlord to change locks

Hi

Is this for a residential tenancy or a commercial lease?

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Redisential

Hi

Is this an assured shorthold tenancy agreement?

When does the fixed term of the tenancy agreement expires?

Ton
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

18 of march 2013

Hi

Thanks.

If the fixed term has already expired in a tenancy has become a statutory periodic tenancy. This means that the tenancy continues on the same terms but from one rent period to the next ( so month to month if the tenant pays the rent monthly)

If you want to infect them then you will first have to serve a s.21 housing act 1988 notice on them in the correct form and wait until further notice expires. The notice period for this is 2 months and the notice must expire at the end of rent.

This link adequately tells you how to do this:
http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/notice_to_quit.htm

You will see a link of the above site to agreements and forms way you can download the relevant notice.

If the tenant does not leave once the notice has expired then you will have to apply to court for an order for possession. You can do this online here

http://possession.gov.uk/pcol

The court will grant a possession order and then you can change the locks and evict them yourself or get a bailiff to do it

If you change the locks before you have a possession order from court then it would be an illegal eviction and the tenant could see you and win

If this is useful please kindly click accept and rate my answer as okay service or above if you do not then I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question

Tom