Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hi there, I would like to move out of a 3 year fixed term

Hi there,

I would like to move out of a 3 year fixed term AST in the next 2 or 3 months. I moved in on 14th January 2012 and the end date is 14th January 2015. My father has become ill, so I need to leave the area.

I was originally rushed to sign the contract and was told, in front of a witness (my friend), that I could give 2 months notice on the property if I wanted to move out, but there is no break clause in the written contract. Is that witness / verbal agreement enough to get me out of the contract early?

I spoke to the estate agent property manager for my flat and she basically said that "this is the written contract, it doesn't allow you to break out of it, if you want to move out you have to find someone to take over the contract".
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

What have the agents said about your suggestion that they said you could move out on 2 months notice?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tom,

They really didn't give me much time to talk about it / weren't prepared to listen. They just kept repeating that "this is what is in the contract, so I can't break out of it"... despite the fact that I know they said it and my witness confirms it as well.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Drafting your answer now. 5 mins.

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, thank you.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

Where there is a written contract your right to leave the property is generally governed by what the written contract says. If the contract does not have a break clause in it then the assumption will be that you are not entitled to terminate the contract.

To be quite honest I would not advise relying on your oral discussions prior to signing the contract. The problem is that although you felt rushed in to signing the contract there was no form of legal duress preventing you from saying that you will not sign until you had read the contract. Had you done so, you would have seen that there was no break clause.

If you wished to attempt to proceed on the basis of your oral discussions then you would effectively be alleging misrepresentation by the agent. The problem with this is that you would have been able to establish the terms of the contract by reading it, which a court would view that any reasonable person would do.

In practical terms, you can attempt to make as much noise about their misrepresentation in correspondence to them stating that you will sue (which I would not be too confident of) and complain to the property ombudsmen (who are not likely to provide a practical solution to you) to see if they choke and offer to release you.

Landlords are generally under a duty not to unreasonably refuse a suitable tenant and your focus now should be on finding one. You can then use www.gumtree.co.uk to find a tenant (private landlords frequently use this service. If they refuse a reasonable replacement tenant that you bring to them then you can document this in writing through your correspondence with them and then use this as a defence to any claim that they issue for the rent.

If you cannot find any tenants and wish to get out quickly then you can invite them to offer you a surrender of tenancy, whereby you agree in writing to release eachother from the tenancy subject (usually, unless they are massively sympathetic) to payment of a surrender fee to the landlord. You can attempt to negotiate from here.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor