Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice

Morning Daniel I hope thhat you can help? I live in an

Morning Daniel

I hope thhat you can help?
I live in an end teraced house with a bathroom extention which also acts as part of the wall between us & next door. The problem is the guy has painted this extention yesterday & has not even asked. Surely, he has no right? as this is my home.

Thanks in advance
Sue
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid Daniel is no longer with us.

Thank you for your question I will try to help.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to
advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

Is it your property or a shared boundary??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The original wall was on our property & replaced with the extention.

But the extention is now enclosing their yard to the back.

They also rent the property just for your reference.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

So is there any gap between you and the neighbouring property?

Have you raised the issue with the landlord?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no gap between us.

This happened yesterday, so I will be contacting the landlord tomorrow morning to advise what has occured.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

If there was any malicious
intent, it is criminal damage. That is a police matter.

This is a party wall even
though it is actually on the boundary it is classed as a party wall however he
should not have done this without your consent.

The reality is that if you
did not give consent, it could have ended up with a very expensive argument if
he wanted it and you didn't.

The problem you face now is
that removing the paint is going to be an extremely expensive and difficult task
although that is not to say that it is impossible.

The landlord actually has no
liability in this although you may be entitled to compensation from the tenant.
I don't think it is going to be a lot and it depends whether you want to go to
court over it.

Does that answer the
question?

Can I help further?

Please
don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you
want to hear).

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. I

t doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my
livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

I am
offline shortly until later today and will pick this up then

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice