Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Good Evening Could you give me some advice please. My husband

Good Evening Could you give me some advice please.
My husband are sitting tenants & privately rent an unfurnished house, we have lived here for 38 years.
When we moved in there was nothing in the house not even a sink or any units in the kitchen.
We bought all the units & the sink that is in our kitchen they are old, & I want to buy new units & sink.
The agent for our house, has told me I can change them, but we will have to leave them in the house if we move.
I am not amused by this as nothing in our home belongs to them.
Can they force us to leave the units if we move.
Thank you for your time
Mrs Hazel truss

Hi there

Thanks for your enquiry.

The rule used to be that if the tenant fixed something to the property then it became part of that property and the tenant could not take it away. Today it is often a question of degree. The more permanent the fixture, the less likely that the tenant would be entitled to remove it.

As the sink and units are "fixed" to the property, then they are deemed to be permanent, and therefore I'm afraid to say that the Agent is correct.

I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but if I have answered your question, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.

Kind Regards

AL

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply, the only things that will be fixed is the wall cupboards & sink the rest is free standing. If we were to move could we just put back the original units that we took out, they are not fixed either.

Hazel

Hi Hazel,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry- I assumed that the units would be fixed to the wall or floor. If they are freestanding, then you would be entitled to take them with you, provided you put back the existing units.

I hope this clarifies things.

Kind Regards

AL

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help, that has answered my questions perfectly.

Hazel

Thanks Hazel.

If you are happy with my Answer, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.

Kind Regards

AL