Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice

I am in the middle of a nasty separeation from my ex boyfriend.

Customer Question

I am in the middle of a nasty separeation from my ex boyfriend. We had some joint savings in a joint named account of about £30,000. He has basically said that I am not entitled to any of the money. We both work full time, I would transfer money from his current account into the savings account and I would use the savings to top up my current account from which I paid all of the bills. He didn't pay anything except his bank loan which he took out to buy into a partnership back in 2006. I have appointed a solicitor and my ex is also a solicitor. He has said he has sought counsel and that I am definitely not entitled to any of the savings. Could someone please clarify for me? Many thanks
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

I sm offline shortly until tomorrow
How are these savings joint?
Are they in joint names?
On what basis is he saying that you are entitled to £0?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The savings are held in a joint named account, they were built up over the last six years or so. He is saying that he exclusively saved the money and that I took £1000 each month to pay the bills. His argument is that I did not put into the account so I am not entitled to half. I have however, paid all of the household bills for the last 10/11 years without a contribution from him. I have the bank statements going back to 1998 to prove my outgoings. I work full-time and my earnings are around £1900 per month. His statement that I took £1000 every month is not quite true, he has used the savings to pay his tax bill for the last 6 years since he became a self-employed solicitor in a partnership. We had access to eachother's passwords for both our individual current accounts and the joint savings account and up until I left him there was never an issue with whose money was whose.

I have no idea what is left, if anything, of the £30,000 that was in the joint savings account, he has now bought a brand new house worth £190,000 so I guess he's used them for his deposit.

The savings have been used to improve the property that we jointly own which he is being 'fine' about. I hope you have enough information to give me an answer, he is stating that he has sought counsel about the savings and I have no legal right to any of them, please help!! By the way, I could not rate your response as it would not let me

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
So the maths are that he saved most of his money in a joint acct with you and you used all yr money and small part of the savings he put in but in joint names, on bills. He paid no bills. In effect, you paid the bills and he did the saving. Is that it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes that's it

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.