Claire D
Claire D, Property Solicitor
Experience:  BSC (hons) 14 years experience in property
13754130

registering the burden over unregd land

Customer Question

registering the burden over unreg'd land
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Claire D replied 1 year ago.

Claire D : Hello and welcome. If you have any questions following my answer, please let me know and I will be happy to assist further.
Claire D : can you explain what burden you are referring to please?
Expert:  Claire D replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello claire ...I'm sorry I missed the chat but thanks for getting back to me.

The issue concerns a small parcel of land behind my property and adjacent to my neighbour who has spread out her lawn into the area ...considered by me to be the maintainence area as it is directly behind our garages on two levels....the lower level giving access to my garage wall for the provision of cables and a hose pipe into the garage...the higher to give me access to the garage roof for the purposes of inspection, as well as clearing debris (the cause of damage to other rooves in the past), repairs, general maintainence and in due course complete replacement of my now storm damaged garage roof.

A dispute has arisen over access to this area - blocked by my neighbour. I feel my best remedy is to register my interest as a burden over the unregistered lot,as I have the benefit of an easement (expressed in general terms) in my friend's former lease (I am his tenant enjoying exclusive possession of the property in his ownership. As proprietor his interest has been upgraded from lease to freehold - incorporating the terms of the former lease) and/or to make an application for my neighbours obstructions to be removed. Can both these be done in one fell swoop? Would you send me a copy of or a link to the appropriate form and can this application only be made by the Freeholder (ie registration of the burden) whilst I could apply for enforcement? Is that it?

The neighbours want the freeholder to address this dispute with them instead of me as it has become contentious and they believe they can get round him as a 'nice guy'. I think they may be surprised to find that he would assert his legal interest more strongly (whereas I am inclined to try to find a way to 'share the plot', with fencing which expresses a recognised joint interest). The owner on the other hand would propose to make use of it in such a way that to preserve their privacy they would need to re-fence their exclusive areas if they would like privacy.

Expert:  Claire D replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I will have to opt out of this so another expert can help as I am not certain of the procedure.
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I’m Wendy, and I’m moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of the professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Tax, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,
Wendy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

please would you put this to josh.

I think I directed it to him but claire must have picked it up as i had no objection. sorry she couldn't help but i believe this is josh's area.

thanks!

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I sent Josh a message letting him know you are looking for his help. He should be with you next time he's online.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
Wendy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Wendy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I shall look forward to a response from Josh

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience. I'm not sure when he'll be online again.

Regards,
Wendy