How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wingrovebuyer Your Own Question
wingrovebuyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 737
Experience:  I am a property solicitor specialising in English Property Law, mines and minerals, sporting rights and rural property.
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
wingrovebuyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mum died 2 years ago and myself and my brother have probate

Customer Question

My mum died 2 years ago and myself and my brother have probate and everything is resolved. Sounds silly but we haven't transferred her house into our names accidentally and now wish to do so. Do we need a solicitor or can we just "fill in a form" and do this ourselves?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 4 years ago.

wingrovebuyer : Hello. You can do is yourself but it is always better to get a solicitor to do it, in case you make an error. A solicitor should only charge a couple of hundred pounds, and it's worth payi to get it right. However, if you want to do it yourself, the forms are available from Land Registry's website. You need Form AS1, which is the Assent (basically a conveyance by executors) and using that you can Assent the house to yourselves in the shares left under the Will (ie inequal shares) but make sure you put yourselves as Tenant in Common, which means you will each own a separate share. Once completed, send the form to your local Land Registry together with a completed Form AP1 and the fee. This is the belt and braces approach, which will ensure you get the correct outcome in accordance with the Will.
wingrovebuyer : Hello. Do you require further assistance? If not, please leave a rating or JA won't pay me for helping you.