wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a property solicitor specialising in English Property Law, mines and minerals, sporting rights and rural property.
22732369

I have found a London property I like and am considering placing

I have found a London property I like and am considering placing an offer - however per the land registry the freehold is owned by "the mayor and burgesses of Southwark". Is this to say that the property is a crown property? And if it is, does this mean I can't renew the lease or ever buy the freehold? Thank you!

wingrovebuyer : Hello. No, this means the freehold is owned by Southwark Council. There's no reason you couldn't buy th freehold, if the Council was willing to sell it. If the lease needs to be renewed, there's no reason why this can't happen either. The Council is like any other owner.