Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

For the past four years my partner and I have been residing

For the past four years my partner and I have been residing in rented accommodation. Each year, we renew the contract at the end of July. The term is for 12 months but includes a six-month break. We have recently been asked via email if we wish to renew for this year and agreed yes. However, we have just had an offer accepted to buy another property and longer wish to renew. Where do we stand legally on this?

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

Have you signed the new contract yet?

When did you say yes?

When does existing term end?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We were asked via email if we wanted to renew the contract at the end of May with a slight increase in rent. We acknowledged via email on 22/05 that we would be willing to renew. The twelve month term ends on 31st July.

Thanks. In the past have you always had new contracts to sign?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, every year.

In which case until you sign a new agreement there is no new tenancy.

I would email immediately and say exactly what has happened, how much you regret leaving, how happy you have been etc (lay it on thick) and that you will not be renewing after all and will vacate on X date.

If the Landlord thinks differently she/he, will have to take you to court. If I was advising the LL I would say forget it.

Does that answer the question? Can I assist any further?

I am happy to follow up any individual point you make.
I am online and off-line each day and most weekends so please bear with me if I do not come back to you within nanoseconds.
Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you want to hear). If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It doesn’t give me “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask. Thank you.