Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I wish to lend my parents (in their 70s) a reasonably large

Customer Question

I wish to lend my parents (in their 70s) a reasonably large (200kgbp) bridging loan for 6-12 months to enable them to buy a new house as cash buyers and without pressure to sell their current home. As they both have health problems, I am particularly concerned not for my loan to get caught up in any form of estate in the event one or both should die. I will of course implement a simple loan document. Is there any advantage in having them sign a mortgage deed (probably most simply on their current unemcumbered property) and does that need to be registered immediately or can it be kept in a drawer "just in case". If the deed is put in place should I take the title deeds as a bank lender would? They and the properties are in the UK, I am a Swiss resident but UK domiciled.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

Yes, there’s quite a big advantage. If you have a correctly drafted charge which secure the bridging loan then it makes enforcing the loan a lot easier.

It means that in the event that you choose to enforce the loan and recover your money (because of death and an otherwise insolvent estate) then you could simply skip to selling the property.

If you only have a loan agreement then you would have to deal with the executors of the estate as to repayment and if this was breached you would then have to get judgement on the default of loan at county. Once you have this you would still have to apply for an interim charging order and then apply again for a final charging order after that. A lot of legwork. A lot of time.

You should attend a solicitor to view the loan and draft a charge. It is for you to decide when you want to register the charge but technically they would be able to transfer the title for the property or remortgage without reference to you until the charge is registered on the title and a restriction entered (which then prevents this).

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks that is very useful. I am in fact their executor, but would rather not have the potential conflict of interest. I very much doubt they would seek to remortgage the property and will struggle to so do if I have the title deeds anyway.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.