Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Our tenant asked to leave her tenancy early which we agreed.

Our tenant asked to leave her tenancy early which we agreed. She gave notice to go on 6th June. Her rent was not paid on 5th may so is in arrears. She has moved out, there is damage to the property which will not be covered by the bond. She said she wanted to hand the keys over early and we said yes and she would not be charged rent after we got the keys. We asked for the keys by 4pm today. She has not done
Submitted: 1 year ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

When does the fixed term of the tenancy expire please?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5/8/13 was the original term. She asked for a 12 month as opposed to a 6 month term. She asked in April if she could go early and gave a date of 5/6/13. She has already moved out
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

What date did you agree that she could moved out on?

Did you state that this was subject to the rent being up to date and to her handing in the keys?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The letting agent said she would be going on 5/6. On 8/5 the tenant emailed the agent and said the property was empty and ready to be handed over She stated she old rather hand the keys over as opposed to keeping them until June. She also stated the rent due on 5/5 would have to be taken out of the bond.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

If the tenancy does not contain a break clause entitling the tenant to terminate the lease any earlier than the expiry of the fixed term then the only way she can get out of it is by finding a replacement tenant OR agreeing a surrender of tenancy with you.

The question is whether you have agreed to surrender the tenancy. I presume that because you have “said yes” that you did agree to her vacating only. Best practice would for to execute a written surrender at the property with the tenancy whilst the checkout is conducted and the keys have been handed over.

IN this case I would say that the earliest that she could vacate would be the date that you agreed with, rather than simply the date that she vacated, and that this would be completed by handing over the keys and paying the rent up to that date..

If this has not happened then I would say that it is not an effective surrender and you would be entitled to sue the tenancy for the remaining rent on the tenancy and for the damage that she has caused (because this would be a separate breach of contract).

If she pays the rent up to the date that you agreed to vacate AND handed in the keys before that date then I would consider it a a valid surrender and would say that you could not sue her for any more rent but COULD sue her for the damage caused in a separated breach of contract action.

If she neither pays the rent up to the date you agreed and does not hand in the keys then you could sue her for all the rent outstanding (up to that date and remaining on the tenancy agreement) and sue her for damages for the disrepair she has caused.

You would likely get a money judgement on the outstanding rent for a couple of months worth, since you are under an obligation to mitigate your loss by reletting the premises once the tenant has vacated.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I allowed to ask her for the rent or the keys by a certain date and take possession of the property then.Also I have a new tenant wanting to move in on 25/5
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

You can offer her a surrender of tenancy on those terms, yes. It's up to her whether she accepts it. You need to make her aware that she remains bound to pay the rent until a valid surrender has occurred.

You need to sort out the surrender/return of keys before your new tenant moves in. Your current tenant could reappear, pay the rent and attempt to take possession if a surrender is not executed which would leave you in a very difficult position if this happens (unlikely as it is).

Please rate my answer.

Tom
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor