Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I own a leasehold maissonette - the block contains four properties.

I own a leasehold maissonette - the block contains four properties. We also each own a share of the freehold. I am in the process of selling my property. I have just found out that the owner of one of the properties is not named on the freehold ( the previous owner is ) and another property is rented out and the owner does not live there. Any advice on what I can do when it comes to trying to transfer my share to my purchaser ?

Thanks for your patience.

This is a bit of a pickle I’m afraid.

The previous owner should probably not be named. I would expect that each sale includes a sale of the freehold, which was not done when the previous owner sold their property to the current owner.

You really need to get in contact with the current owner immediately. Speak to the occupier, they will likely have an address for them. Write to them with evidence that they are not registered and ask them to contact you with a view to getting in contact with the previous owner to arrange the transfer of the share of the freehold.

It may be that the solicitor acting for him when he purchased the property missed it, in which case it’s negligence, in which case they will be very keen to sort it out now. They should still have details of the Seller and their solicitors so that their address can be traced.

At the moment you would not be able to transfer the freehold share in your sale because all the registered proprietors must sign the land registry transfer form (unless there is a court order stating that the title may be transferred without a signature.

You can probably sort it out, but time is of the essence so you have to move quickly.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,