Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

FAO Thomas. Hi, you helped me recently regarding tenancy agreement.

FAO Thomas. Hi, you helped me recently regarding tenancy agreement. Landlord has only agreed to £400 compensation and not £800 that i required for my expenses for new house move, i asked him to forfeight Mays rent and i would move out on 31st May. If i dont pay my rent of £800 for May can he recover extra £400 that hes not agreed to from deposit? My expenses are £318 application fees, £320 removal fees, £120 cats day boarding fee. Regards Eileen
Hi Eileen

If you do not may's rent and you do not have the landlord's agreement for you not to pay it then the landlord would be able to take this from the deposit. If your tenancy has a fixed term which expires beyond may then he would also be able to take the remaining rent for the other months from the deposit as well.

I would suggest that you if you don't get his agreement to surrender the lease for which you charge a fee then I would stay in the property and play hardball so that he eventually the greens to pay the additional costs that you have outlined.

If this is useful please kindly click accept and rate my answer as okay service or above. If you do not then I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

Kind regards.