Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Ok my tenant who has been in the property for 18 months, has

Ok my tenant who has been in the property for 18 months, has e-mailed me telling me that there is a moth infestation in the house and it has eaten the carpets. They are saying that the environment is no longer healthy for their children and I must take action and replace the carpets immediately. From all I have read the moth is not a health hazard and the house must be treated with insecticide to remove the moth. This I am sure would not be healthy for the children. What do I need to do and what are my liabilities please.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What type of contract does she have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Assured shorthold Tennancy Agreement

Generally speaking infestation is down to the occupying tenant rather than the landlord as its do with the manner of occupation not the disrepair of the house. However, moths are a little different as they can literally infest for no reason at all.

All you have to do is treat the moth infestation. You must act swiftly and, in fairness, moths can be fairly hardy.

You don't have to replace the carpets immediately. This is nothing like an unhealthy environment for children and, anyway, there is no particular magic in them being children. Tenants are tenants. He is referring to them because its emotive.

You are perfectly entitled to treat this by the means you suggest. If he takes the view that its not healthy for his children then he can move out and pay any arrears from his deposit.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much this is very helpful.

No problem.

All the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.