How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 22618
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in dispute with a Builder over a new house and I have

This answer was rated:

I am in dispute with a Builder over a new house and I have taken him to Court due in December 2013. The builder now lives out of the Country [Taiwan] and the case costs are very considerable.
In the event I succeed –what precaution can I put in place now to prevent the sale of the house to a third party As I understand the only asset is the House and I would be seeking to get Court costs /damages etc.
Is his house/asset in the UK?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes its in the UK

are two scenarios, he wins and you have to pay a huge amount of costs to him or
he wins and he has to pay a huge amount of costs to you?

you pay his costs if he wins?

solicitors dealing with this for you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Solicitors are dealing with the Court case




The Land Tribunal I am dealing with myself in direct contact and answering questions etc. BUT again the question as the house is in the wrong position what will the Land tribunal rule in your opinion as I wish to use the additional argument to strengthen my case

afraid that doesn't answer my question.

now appear to be two things, a court case and the land tribunal.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am dealing with the Land tribunal - For me - if the land tribunal rules the house is in the wrong position and cannot be "complete" then the builder cannot register the house !

so the question again - house in wrong position and conditions attached by me which were not done - I seek the find that the builder cannot register the property as complete

I am
missing something here.

question was about your costs and putting something in place to prevent the
sale of his residential house to a third party. It wasn't anything to do with
the subject matter being in the wrong place.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry I am really getting old !!

yes the court case will start in December this year - but as the builder lives out of the UK and I believe to be the only property he owns or the only tangible asset - how to protect the myself if he just vanishes - my costs are covered and I have assetts


you. I thought it was me for a minute!

can ask the court for an order for security for costs if you think that the
builder is carrying on with this litigation with no hope of winning and without
the ability to pay the costs if you win. Basically he would have to give you a
charge against his house or some other kind of security.

without that order, if the costs are such that he would be made bankrupt, and
he has already sold the house, you can ask the trustee in bankruptcy to set the
transfer aside and getting back from whoever bought it.

are unlikely to get an order freezing the asset that would last between now and
December although you would get an order if you discovered that the house was
on the market and would prove that he was not good for your legal costs in the
UK in the event that you won, if the house was sold


Stuart J and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you