How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas , Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7372
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

For the whole duration of my tenancy my landlord has refused

Resolved Question:

For the whole duration of my tenancy my landlord has refused to do repairs. I had to call the local authority as well as the health and safety exsecutive to force him to do the repairs. I would like compensation and punative damages. How do I work out how much to ask for?
Submitted: 3 years ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

What repairs are we talking about please?

Did these repairs render any parts of the propety unusable please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There was a leak in the shower room every time It rained water would come through. The boiler had not been serviced for nearly 3 years. I had no heating in one of the bed rooms as a valve had not been there as well as in the hall way. There are still repairs that he has never addressed such as damp in the kitchen. The soil waist pipes going in to the rain drains which constantly block and fill the garden with sewage. The windows need fixing. Also when we came we had bed bugs, cock roaches and mice and wood lice.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

The landlord responsibility as to repairs are contained and articulated quite well here:-

If you feel that the landlord has fallen short of these standards then you may regard it as a breach of the tenancy agreement.

You can only claim for direct financial loss in respect of each disrepair. So, if the repair made a part of the property not usable then you could claim for loss of utility.

However, if it is the case that in the majority of the disrepair that you have cited that you could still use the areas, albeit with some minor adjustments then the reality is that your claim would not be at all substantial.

You would also have to prove the disrepair by evidence (usually photographic) in order for the claim to proceed.

If you are certain that you can prove the disrepair and that they genuinely did cause you a substantial and material loss of utility then you can issue a claim online here:-

In the future, if there is disrepair during the tenancy and the landlord does not do anything about it then you should consider further your efforts at enforcing the repair. You can give him notice of repair requiring remedial works to be carried out within a fixed time (eg. 14 days) and state that if they are not then you will pay for them yourself before recovering the money from him using moneyclaim above. Alternatively you can issue a claim if he doesn’t carry them out for specific performance of repairs OR a declaration that you carry out the repairs and they pay for them. Claiming after the tenancy is not impossible but your much better placed whilst it occurs for the first time in occupation.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7372
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on your position. Please remember to rate my answer, if you are satisfied.

Kind regards,


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Aston Lawyer

    Aston Lawyer

    Property Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 20 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
< Last | Next >
  • Lawyer/2013-10-8_19517_JAPROFILEPICTURE.64x64.jpg Aston Lawyer's Avatar

    Aston Lawyer

    Property Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 20 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years exeperience
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers: