Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

i have a parcel of land which I have occupied for 20 years

i have a parcel of land which I have occupied for 20 years which I have not paid any rent
to the owner, we have tried to trace the owner on many occasions and even been to his last place where he lived, but unable to contact him, because I have occupied the land for so long am I now entitled to register this in my name

Thanks for your patience.

If you have enclosed the land and looked after it for that length of time you do appear to be eligible – from a time perspective - to make a claim for the land and you have to prove what is termed “adverse possession” to the Land Registry in order to have it registered in your name.

If the land in question is unregistered then you must have been using it continuously for 12 years in order to claim possession of it and be registered as the registered proprietor at the Land Registry

If the land is registered then you need only have been using it continuously for 10 years in order to apply for adverse possession at the Land Registry. Notice of the application will be sent to the current registered proprietor of the land, who is obviously at liberty to object. It is therefore more difficult to claim adverse possession of land that is registered.

If you do not know whether the land is registered then you can check using the Land Registry's online service by downloading a copy of the register of the title (if any) for the property(it may be that the land forms part of one of the registered titles of the properties which it adjoins):-

If this does not illicit results then you should send a index map search to the Land Registry by using Form SIM (enclosing a map of the area), they will then tell you definitively if it is registered. You can also download that form from the LR website.

In the case of both applications you would have to submit form ADV1 to the Land Registry together with sworn statutory declarations regarding how long you have been using the land (from you and others who know of your use) and it may be something over which you should consider taking specific legal advice from a local solicitor to ensure that the application and supporting documentation is drafted correctly.

However, if the owner is traced and receives notice of the application then they are at liberty to defend it.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

"FAO Tom only " thank you for your reply, but could you tell me, if the land is registered but the land owner has died what would be the outcome

regard mike

Hi Mike,

It would not make a massive difference, the executors/personal representativs for the deceased woudl stand in their shoes and decide whether or not to defend.

Thanks for rating my answer.