How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7150
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are reaching the end of our tenancy agreement and intended

Resolved Question:

We are reaching the end of our tenancy agreement and intended to continue.
The landlord however wants to sell. We are a family of four with a seven month old baby.
What is the legal aspect forums if we had problems to move out to the end
Of the agreement as we wanted to buy and may not have found a suitable. Property?
Has the landlord legal handle to force us out? Ist here any legal protection for young famines?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

When does the fixed term of the tenancy expire please?

Is this an assured shorthold tenancy?

Have you received a s21 notice from the landlord yet?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The end of the short hold assured tenancy is 31/5/13. No S21. We gave written intention to extend six weeks earlier.

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

Bad news first. The first thing to say is that you have no right to an extension. If the landlord is not minded to give you an extension then he does not have to.

There are no additional rights accruing to tenants with children either.

The good news is that tenant have significant rights in terms of eviction. You cannot be evicted without a court order for possession. If you were then it would be an illegal eviction and you could sue the landlord and recover considerable damages from him.

Therefore if the landlord want you out then he has to serve a valid s21 notice on you. This must give you two months notice of eviction on the final day of the tenancy. Therefore, if you do not receive a notice by 31.03 then the landlord would not be able to get you out of the tenancy at the end of the fixed term. He would have to serve another notice and get you out a month later effectively.

He cannot get around serving notice – he has to do it and if he doesn’t then he cannot get you out.

If you receive the notice but do not leave on the date that it properly expires then they will have to go to court for a possession order. If you have a written tenancy agreement then they could use the accelerated possession procedure which means there would be no court hearing, but even this would take at lease two (probably three) weeks from the date the expired notice is submitted to court. Once the order for possession has been served on you the landlord will have the right to use the bailiffs to get you out. You would remain liable for the rent until you leave the properety and also the landlord costs of the possession claim.

If you stay in the property beyond the fixed term then the tenancy turns in to a statutory periodic tenancy which means that it continues on the same terms from month to month, but if you wished to leave you would have to give the notice described on the following page:-

See “Notice by Tenant”.

I am sorry that I could not have better news for you. Hopefully they won’t serve the notice.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7150
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers:

  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience
  • PortsmouthLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor, dealing with property law issues since 1981