Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My husband and I recently bought a house October 2011. The

My husband and I recently bought a house October 2011. The mortgage company refused to put my name on the deeds as I had been declared bankrupt in 2002. We are hoping to pay the mortgage off in the summer 2013 and transfer my name to the deeds then. if in the meantime if my husband died intestate how would I stand legally to inherit our property. It is valued at around 375,000. We both have children from previous marriages although they are all over 21.

Thanks for your patience.

If your husband passed away before you were named on the registered title to the property then his entire estate (including the property) would pass under the intestacy rules.

This means that the first £250, 000.00 would pass to you. The remaining amount of his estate above this amount would be split in two. The first half would pass to his children. The other half would be held for the duration of your life. You would receive the interest earned on this half until your death. Upon your death the half would then pass to his children.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,