Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hi, Is there a way to get hold of information on the parties

Is there a way to get hold of information on the parties currently in negotiation of a property deal? I represent a local housing association and recenlty a few properties in ourr conservation area have gone for sale and been snapped up. We are concerned the developers are a large group who we have seen use their power to force through their own agenda in the local area before. We really do not want this to happen in our conservation area. Any help would eb appreciated.

Thanks for your patience.

The only information publicly available is the registered titles for land/properties which are available for download from the land registry:-!ut/p/b1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0C7IdFQG9k5Tz/

However, if the parties have not exchanged contracts on the sale then there will be no evidence of this at the land registry or anywhere else apart from the parties to the transaction themselves.

Occasionally, if they have exchanged contracts but with a completion date quite a long way in the future then the buyer will register the contract at land registry so that it appears as an entry on the charges register of the title. If they did this then you could see who the buyer is, but this is quite rare (ie. usually in the case of a buyer who wishes to complete a long time in the future and so has to arrange planning/financials in the intervnening period.

If you are aware of properties that the proposed buyer may have already bought then you can download the titles for them and check who has bought them and when, so you could find out that way.

Sorry it could not be better news

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your reply. Can I just clarify then that there is no legal way to request/obtain information on the buyer until after the sale is completed? Do you know if it is possible for us to prevent development on the sites in some way?

I don't think there is a legal request that you could make to obtain information about the proposed buyer.

You have the same right to object to development in the same way that everybody else does, this is to object during the consultation period for planning permission under which such development is proposed.

You may consider contacting the local authority to advise of any planning permission which have been applied for.

Please remember to rate my answer