How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7150
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am coming to the end of my army career on 1st Aug and so

Resolved Question:

I am coming to the end of my army career on 1st Aug and so I am required to hand back my military house at the beginning of July. My tenants AST expires on 14 Oct 2013 however I need to take back possession of my house in May otherwise will be homeless. What grounds for a Section 8 can I use for possession.
Submitted: 2 years ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

The most common is if the tenant has not paid their rent for two months, then you can serve a s8 ground 8 notice. There are more particular grounds, but this and possession on the basis of persistent late payment of rent or causing disrepair are the most common.

If you served them with a notice before they signed the tenancy that you may require the tenancy back so that you can live in it yourself then you could serve a s8 notice under ground 1, but if you did not give them this notice before you moved in then you cannot do this.

If these don’t apply then there is no legal notice that you could serve them to evict them earlier than the expiry of the fixed term.

If you all wished to bring the tenancy to an end then you could execute a surrender of tenancy in which you state that it is surrendered (ie. terminated) and that neither owes anything to the other, but the problem here is that they have a legal right to occupy the property for the remaining fixed term so they may seek a fee as inducement.

I wouldn’t volunteer any information about the tenant’s rights to them though, just because they might not know their rights..

Sorry it could not be better news.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Tom,


There has never been a problem with rent arrears so I cannot use that ground. I did not serve them notice before the tenancy either.


Are you telling me then that even though I have to hand back my army house and will have nowhere to live i cannot give two months notice to the tenant.



Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alfie,

Unless they clock up arrears to the tune of two months then I'm afraid so. If you did not serve them a notice advising that you may require the property back before the end of the fixed term to live in yourself then, frankly, you are stuck.

Sorry to say, but they have rights if the fixed term has not expired. Once once the fixed term has expired can you get possession back provided that you serve the requisite s21 notice.

Perhaps you can negotiate for them to leave early voluntarily..

I have to leave the office now, I will be abel to answer any follow-ups you have in about half an hour or so.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7150
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers:

  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience
  • PortsmouthLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor, dealing with property law issues since 1981