Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

What is sufficient time to carry out works, we have had a leaking

What is sufficient time to carry out works, we have had a leaking roof for 8 months, and whilst they have tried to fix the problem it is still leaking and we cannot use the bedroom

Is this a residential assured shorthold tenancy?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, this is a residential shorthold tenancy

Thanks for your patience.

You have a right to a property in repair and can enforce this against the landlord. The repair responsibilities are outlined on this page:-

You will see that the structure of the property should be kept in good repair under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985.

You should formally write to the the landlord (copying in the agent) specifying the disrepair, making a list of the reasonable repair required and ask that he make those repairs within a reasonable time (eg. 14 days). State that if the landlord does not make the repair within that time you will pay to have the repairs made and will seek to claim the expense from him and are prepared to make an application to court if necessary. Refer to your previous effrots to get them to repair it and state that you are now taking formal action in requesting this.

If the landlord does not make the repair you can pay to have it done after the 14 days have expired and then write formally to him requesting the payment of the cost, again within a reasonable time). If he does not pay you can issue a claim for the money yourself through Her Majesty Courts Service's online service: Write to them first asking for the money and stating that you will issue a claim if it is not received.

Its pretty cheap and straightforward to use.

Open a file, send letters by registered post, keep copies of everything for use in any claim you may choose to issue at a later date.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,