Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

is a landlord responsible if a tenant uses adjacent land that

is a landlord responsible if a tenant uses adjacent land that does not belong to the landlord
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Does this relate to an assured shorthold tenancy?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this relates to a unit that is let on a 3 year lease ,the tenant is using a piece of land not owned by us ,to park vehicles ,it is not fenced and has been used by us the landlords when we had a business there and tenants for the last 30yrs the owner has given us notice to clear the land ,,,were not disputing that ,the question is who is legally resposible the landlord or tenant

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Does the lease from you to the tenant attempt to grant the tenant a right to use this land (even if the land is not yours)?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no the tenant is aware that we dont own it and it is not mentioned in the lease ,,,

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

No, I don’t think that you could be sued in these circumstances. You and the tenant are different legal individuals.

Potentially you could have been sued by the Tenant if you had granted a right to use the land if you did not actually have the right to grant them, but the appropriate legal recourse is against your tenant.

In the interests of good development management though I would adopt a mediator role between the two and see if you can enforce compliance by the tenant. The lease may contain a clause in which it states that he should observe matters of legal title. If there is no right to use the land evidenced in the legal title for the leased property then he could be regarded as being in breach of the lease.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor