Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

HI MY NEIGHBOUR AND I OWN LAND EACH SIDE OF A LANE .WE EACH

HI MY NEIGHBOUR AND I OWN LAND EACH SIDE OF A LANE .WE EACH HAVE ACCESS TO THE FIELDS FROM THE LANE BUT ONLY USE IT ONCE OR TWICE A YEAR. THE LANE HAS THREE PROPERTIES AT THE END OWNED BY THREE DIFFERENT PEOPLE. WHO OWNS THE LANE AND WHO IS RESPONABLE FOR THE UP KEEP OF THE SURFACE OF THE LANE
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hi

Have you carried out ban index map search of the land at the land registry?

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi no i have not you were my first start of my resarch .My neighbour reckons the owners of the land each side of the lane are lible for the up keep of lane surface is this true

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Do you have a legal right of access in the form of an easement registered legal title for the land and your land?

If so, does the right state that it is subject to maintenance of the area?

Tom.
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi

I dont know if i have got a legal right of acess in the form of an easement.

I normally get to these feilds from my own private lane on the opposit end of the feilds , my family have owned these feilds for at least a 100 years. So i dont know anything about right of ways or anything else. All i want to know is am i liable for the up keep of the lane?

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

You need to download a copy of registered title for your property. You can do this by using the land registry find a property search engine and downloading a copy there just do a google search for it and link from there.

if a right to use the area is referred to in part c of title register you download and this right says that it is subject to contributing to the cost of repair of the area then you will have to jointly contribute to repair it.

If there is no such a right and no responsibilty to join in contributing to the repair then you are not liable to repair this land and instead the responsibility falls on the person who actually owns
it

If this is useful please kindly rate my answer as okay service or above, if you require further information please just post a reply stating what clarification you need.

Kind regards

Tom