Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

My neighbour wants access to my garage, which has been made

My neighbour wants access to my garage, which has been made into a gym, to drill holes in his wall for cavity insulation. My garage is sandwiched between my house outer wall and the neighbour's house outer wall. As a gym we have decorated the wall and any drilling would need clearing up and re-decoration. Does the neighbour have any right to demand access to our garage to drill these holes and if they have are they liable to any damage to equipment that might ensue or to re-decorate after drilling? I was under the assumption that they could only access my property under law if it was to "preserve" their property which cavity wall insulation is not.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
What exactly is he proposing to do to gain access?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He has written a letter to us stating that he has a legal write to access to our garage and that he will be obtaining a solicitor to enforce this. He also states that we are in the wrong to refuse access to our garage and that we will end up paying his legal costs.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

I agree with you. Cavity wall insulation is not maintenance
or, as you quite correctly put it, "preservation" which is a requirement under
the Access to Neighbouring Land Act.

However I can't see why he needs to get at your side and he
can't get at his own side.

Even assuming that he had got the right of access (which I
do not believe he has) he would be liable for any damage and making good and
redecoration to the standard where you could not even tell that the workmen had
been in. In addition, you would be entitled to compensation for disruption.

If he sees his solicitor he will be disappointed on these
facts.

Can I help further?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

May I quote your name in our reply to the neighbour?

If so, may I confirm your name as Law Denning or do I need to just quote "contact with "UK Property Law"?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

We all use pseudonyms, but there is no reason that you
cannot cut and paste this thread and show him the whole thread. Indeed, invite
him to ask own question and I will ignore it and leave it for another expert. It
will be cheaper than him wasting money with his solicitor.

I am a solicitor in North Wales and Cheshire and that is
specialised in property law for the last 18 years

Can I help further?

Please do not forget to rate my answer positively or the
site keep your deposit and I get no credit for my time.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please can you tell me the section and of what Act that this law comes from regarding rights to access my property.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
I mentioned it earlier, Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice