Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

We Are the OAST GOLF CENTRE. CT16 3EF.,we saught to extend

We Are the OAST GOLF CENTRE. CT16 3EF.,we saught to extend our lease(to enable our son to take over the business)May 1st this year.
In Feb it became necessary to advise our landlord that we would be relinquishing the lease and leave May 1st. (our son has a very bad heart condition -and cannot take stress)The landlord would not interview prospective new Tenants for our business until due date 1st May arrived.We agreed to keep our golf business up and running,to allow new people to be interviewed.Rent paid under meanse profit basis.The new tenants were decided by the Landlord who thinking they had a very good position offered us circa 10 K.this was declined.At this time we are about to move out of the business on 1st Nov.a court order from Landlord decerees this date.Our issue is that the Landlord declined to hear any other potential offers from other bodies who would have offered quite a lot more than 10K.Can this be perceived as a "restriction of trade"
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

When does or did the term of the lease expire?

Was the lease within the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 (ie. giving you a statutory right of renewal)?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Tom

30th April 2012

Yes and we were setting about renewing lease when the issue of our sons health (and our age Im 72 years old and wish to retire)we had served the 6 month notice to renew.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

I presume that if there is a Court order for possession then you have exhausted your rights under the Landlord and Tenant Act and that the Order has be properly made having regard to each party’s rights under the Act with respect to renewal. There are set grounds under the act on which a landlord can refuse and a Court would not make an order unless it was satisfied that the refusal was legal under the act.

I don’t really think that you’re going to get anywhere with having restraint of trade forming the basis of a claim against the landlord if there weren’t specific provisions regarding this practice in your lease or any other agreement that you have with the landlord.

If there is a clause with which the landlord has not complied then you may have a contractual claim against them so you need to examine the clauses by which the landlord was bound and check to see if they have complied with them. If they have not then it’s breach of contract for which you may be able to use to form the cause of action for your claim.

If there are no clauses which the landlord has breached then you would not be able to claim from him unfortunately.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor