How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7581
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Some 10 years ago upon moving into my present property I signed

This answer was rated:

Some 10 years ago upon moving into my present property I signed a codicil allowing my neighbour to have visual access into an area at the end his garden where my large pond is adjacent to his property . However, as my family use this area regularly I feel my families privacy is being compromised. Does the privacy rights under Human Rights negate the codicil issues?

Are you sure you mean a codicil. This is a document which amends a persons's existing Will.

Do you mean that you perhaps execute a deed of easement giving them rights over your property ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry. Deed of Covenant


Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid that if you have executed a Deed of Covenant in which you have stated that you shall give your neighbour visual access then (assuming that you had the requisite mental capacity to understand what you were doing) I’m afraid that you would not be able to comfortably restrict this now without their consent.

The covenant is binding on you according the express definition contained in the Deed. Check the covenant to ensure that you are affording the minimum rights given under it.

If they are agreeable to withdrawing it then you can, but if they are not there is not a lot you can do because they will be able to apply for a court order or injunction to get you to comply with it. If they got a court order and your didn’t comply with it then you would be in contempt of court, which is very serious.

If you deny access and they aren’t compelled to apply to court then this would solve your problem, but doing this has it’s own inherent risks of course.

The Human Rights act is very misunderstood really. The right to privacy is more to do with institutions being able to ask about sexuality/religion, respect for private confidential records, no state surveillance. It does not extend here and even if it did then you have probably estopped yourself from enforcing them by virtue of the fact that you legally executed a document giving such rights to another.

Sorry it could not be better news.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions