How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7149
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been served with a section 8 rent arrears. However,

Customer Question

I have been served with a section 8 rent arrears. However, I believe that the landlord has been in breach of our contract for 'quiet enjoyment'. Will I need legal help to go to court to argue?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Do you dispute that you are actually in two months arrears with the rent?

In what way has the landlord breached your right to quiet enjoyment?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We moved into a new development as first tenants. One month in we were advised that there will be continued construction. At this point there was very bad communication from the landlord. At no point on viewing, signing for the AST were we ever advised of ongoing construction in the form of 2 additional floors above our block. In order to get response and place our point / argument I did withhold rent and further lack of communication led me to continually with hold rent. His actions have led me to do so.


So the quiet enjoyment breach is in the form of construction from 7am - 5pm 6 days per week and predicted to end Jan 2013. Our AST started July. Thats almost half the life of the agreement.


We have had discussions but to no avail and then I got served.


My disagreement aswell, is on the basis that we were never informed of any on going construction prior to moving in/signing AST.

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid that the landlord is not under a duty to volunteer such development works to you. They landlord is under a duty to answer honestly if you ask him whether there are any developments works which he is aware about and would breach the contract if did not answer honestly because it would be contractual misrepresentation.

However, if you did not ask him then he has not breached the contract by not volunteering the fact that there are development works unfortunately.

Quiet enjoyment extends only to such matters as are within the landlords control and is intended to prevent the landlord themselves from harassing you. It does not extend to matters outside of the landlord’s control like these works unless he was asked specifically about them (see above).

Your recourse in respect of the noise would be against the developer if it were the case that they are breaching the conditions of their planning permission.

I’m afraid that I cannot see that you have legitimate grounds, or any grounds with an appreciable chance of a successful defence, to defend the s8 notice. I would focus on attempting to resolve the issue with the landlord now and getting him to withdraw the application.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7149
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers:

  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience
  • PortsmouthLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor, dealing with property law issues since 1981