How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas , Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7375
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello Our home is a grade II listed building and when we bought

Resolved Question:

Our home is a grade II listed building and when we bought it from the previous owner they assured us that the old indenture document from 1731 would remain in the property. However it was removed by one of their children. The owner promised it would be returned however she then became ill and died.

What rights do we have to ask for the Indenture to be returned? It relates to the house - does it legally belong to us? I feel that morally it does but not sure if legally.

I have written a polite letter to the person who has it (who is also executor of the parent's estate) asking for it to be returned, in accordance with the original owner's wishes, but have not received a reply as yet.

If you could advise at all I would be very grateful.

thank you.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Is the property registered at the Land Registry?

Did the owner's solicitor confirm in writing that the indenture would be sent following completion?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Yes the property is registered at the Land Registry. I dont believe the indenture was mentioned in the correspondence between soilcitors, sadly. We were simply told by the owner (who is a kind of family friend) that it would remain.




Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

You can only use under the sale contract if it was confirmed in writing that the indenture would form part of the documents to be supplied by the Seller upon completion. This is because only replies in writing between solicitors form part of the sale contract. Oral statements between you and the Seller are not enforceable under the sale contract unfortunately.

The Seller is contractually required to give you good title to the land of course, but if they have transferred the registered title to you then they have done that, so I can’t see that you have a contractual claim under the sale contracts.

If it was a simply statement that they would give it to you then I would not think this was enforceable either really, I could orally promise to give you £100, 000.00 but you would not be able to compel me to give it to you in a Court of Law if I changed my mind.

I think you’re going to have to go softly softly here for a bit longer. If it really is getting nowhere then you can get a solicitor to write a letter stating legal action will follow (as a bluff) it may be that this prompts them to delivering it but if it does not then I would not personally advise you to issue a claim on the basis of a mere promise.

Sorry it could not be better news.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7375
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 3 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much. This is as I suspected but good to hear it confirmed. I agree, softly softly and use the moral highground perhaps on this!


thanks a lot

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Aston Lawyer

    Aston Lawyer

    Property Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 20 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
< Last | Next >
  • Lawyer/2013-10-8_19517_JAPROFILEPICTURE.64x64.jpg Aston Lawyer's Avatar

    Aston Lawyer

    Property Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 20 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years exeperience
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers: