How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7581
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a property in England, (a terraced house). I want to

This answer was rated:

I have a property in England, (a terraced house).
I want to give half of it to my wife.
Can I do this directly with the Registrar?
If so, what is the procedure?
What are the likely costs?
It is mortgaged to a Bank.
What do I need to do in relation to them?

Does the lender of the bank consent to this?

What is the motivation behind this please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


I have not approached the lender as yet, will there be an issue?

Simply want to make her co-owner of property bought in my name.


Thanks for your patience.

You will need the consent of the lender to do this. They have a first legal charge which prevents changes of ownership wihout their consent. It’s not possible unless you have their consent, so you should contact them to see if they are willing to provide their consent to have her added to the mortgage and registered title to the property.

If they are then they may be able to do this for you by applying to the Land Registry for a fee.

If they are not able to do this for you then they will insist that you instruct a solicitor who can then get their consent and prepare the Land Registry transfer forms.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What would be a likely fee for the solicitor?

If I redeem the mortgage can I do the transfer myself?


Solicitors legal fees would be in the region of £200-300 + VAT.

Yes, you could do the transfer yourself if you redeemed the mortgage.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions